Auto 66 Director To Retire
It's been confirmed that Director of racing club Auto 66 Peter Hillaby will retire.
Two big events were cancelled at Oliver's Mount in Scarborough this year and the borough council is in the process of looking for a new partner to run the course.
It's after governing body, the Auto Cycle Union, refused to issue permits due to safety concerns.
A statement on the Auto 66 website read:
"Due to the amount of stress caused in the last three or four months he has been advised to take early retirement from the end of June.
This will allow for him to go into hospital in July. A major factor in this decision is the stress endured by his wife Jan, brought on by false rumours circulating on social media of which 98% are completely wrong.
We would prefer if people asked the Club directly for the true turn of events rather then just hearsay.
The true facts are simple which we will not we go in to now but the main factor was three years ago a well known sponsor was coming on board to sponsor all the meetings.
The club was asked to spend all of its finances on updating the equipment. This seemed a very good deal at the time but unfortunately the guy in charged sadly died 3-4 weeks later leaving the club with very little finances.
At this moment we would like to thank all the members that have rallied around helping to organise things.
Without this support I am afraid the club would not have survived. Things are now slowly getting back to normal. Unfortunately we no longer have any paid staff so we are asking you to contact us by email if possible or call the office between 10 am- 12 pm Monday-Friday
What we need is all your help Marshall/Competitor wise for our next big meeting at Cadwell which includes cars, bikes, sidecars and karts We really would appreciate all the help we can get at this meeting!
The next big meeting after Cadwell will be the Bank Holiday 25th/26th Battle of Britain meeting at Croft.
Regarding the hill climb at Scarborough taking place on the 19th of August. If Oliver’s Mount is not available we have another venue in mind so we would be grateful if you keep an eye on the web page."
Speaking to Yorkshire Coast radio, Peter said:
"I'm over the moon to be retiring. I did make the announcement at the beginning of the year.
I did this year because they'd got themselves in a mess. So I said I'd do a year back, because I've been semi-retired for the last few years.
It got to last month and I had a bad report from the doctors, I'm getting worse with Parkinson's, I can hardly walk, so I decided now was the right time, end of June.
Everyone looks at the accident last year as to why we were refused permits, that's got nothing to do with it whatsoever.
Last September after the accident, we had a clean bill of health, everything we did was absolutely bang on.
This was a safety thing that the ACU brought in after that. they're doing every circuit in the country, we just happened to be top of the list and we got hammered."